Monday 7 November 2016

To nail or not to nail?


Nailing is more typically used for timber framing. It is faster and generally cheaper than using screws. Nowadays carpenters generally use nail guns, which speeds the whole thing up a lot.
We were watching a video the other day of a couple in America building the frame for their house and they were using a nail gun. "oh, do we have one of these" Raquel asks, "No, but I think it might be good to get one, it speeds things up a lot" I replied.
When I was working in the UK on a construction site, all of the carpenters had gas fired nail guns. They made quick work of putting up stud walls. I was always inspired to watch them work. Measure, cut, bang, bang, the next piece was in place. I have put up a few timber frame walls in my time using a drill and impact driver, and although they have been strong and straight, has taken a fair bit of time.
So onto ebay I went. If I was going to buy one it would have to be secondhand as new they are VERY expensive and from a sustainable ethical place, I feel more at piece buying secondhand.



So this is where it started to get interesting. For a man buying a tool, that resembles a gun and looks cool, well that brings a whole other dimension to the game. I had found a few on ebay that looked good and spoke to Raquel about doing the deal. What was interesting though was the fact that rather than being open to what the right choice was, between using the tools of what we have here and buying the nailer, I had started to get a little fixated on owning the "gun". This became more apparent with how I was "selling" the decision to Raquel. From a sustainable point of view it made no sense to buy one. They aren't available in this country, you can't buy either the nails or gas for them here, they would have to come from the UK. The gas cartridges are not refillable, so you have to throw them away after they are finished. Logically not a good idea, but I still wanted one, and was convincing myself and Raquel that it was a good idea.

One evening I found one on ebay that was a very good deal and in excellent condition. I told Raquel about it and quickly made an offer. I awoke early the next morning and was doubting the decision I made. I let it go and meditated. Thoughts and doubts whirled around my head, why did I make the decision? It is a lot of money, do we really need it? I kept sitting and letting everything being as is it is and then it became clear what had happened. I had gotten fixated on the self image of owning it, and what that meant about me. Somehow it was adding to my self image of being the one who can do, and the one that 'has' the tools. It seems ridiculous but I was seeking a sense of self by having the gun and I wasn't going to let anything get in the way of it. In the process of this desire I had and was squeezing life out and ignoring what is the most important thing to me, and that is aligning with the 'right' thing, which is about not what I want but what life wants from me. And in the process I had not been honest and open with Raquel. Whether we bought the gun was not really the issue, but how and why I was making the choices. It really highlighted the addictive desire I can have for objects, and how I crave to find and fulfill a sense of self in them.

So after the mediation I shared with Raquel what I had seen and that I hadn't been open an honest with her and that is not what I wanted. I e-mailed the guy and explained the situation. He was fine with me withdrawing my offer and understood. I have appreciated the lesson and the opportunity to see deeper into myself.

We haven't made a decision whether to nail or screw yet, but when we do it will be coming from a different place.

David Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment