Wednesday 23 November 2016

Recyling plywood to make usefull boxes

After talking with David about the next steps on the construction, we decided that, because we still don't have the wood, the next thing to do would be to use some of the plywood that came with the trailer and to make boxes with it. So they would fit perfectly under the trailer.
Yesterday David made one. And how fast it was!
Today was my turn. Every time that I work with wood, because I don't have experience, I listen to the instructions and I just do the task. But for it to make sense to me I often see it as a sewing work. Don't get me wrong! I know that one thing doesn't have to do with the other, but I just see that it works in the same way! At least in my brain everything makes sense!
Having the wood in front of me is like having a piece of fabric. And then cutting the wood is like cutting the pieces of fabric. And after that, imagining how all the bits of wood come together in its different positions it's the same thing that I do with all the pieces of fabric.
Because I love sewing and I see the two processes in a similar way, I have been finding the love to work with wood. Not only because something beautiful and practical comes after the work, but because it allows creativity and creation to be present. And in this case, it was amazing to use something old to create something new!
Another aspect of today was the connection with the tools. I used a jigsaw, a hand saw, a driller and an impact driver. They are not the same as scissors, round cutter and other sewing tools. I am not used to them. There was a little bit of fear present, but when I allowed myself to be present with the task and the tools, I could understand how amazing is to use them.
No self images of not being able to work with "men's tools" and doing "men's tasks" were present. I decided to dive deep into this and to just have fun and learn with every little thing that needs to be done in this construction!
And, I am finding that there are no men's tools and men's tasks. There are tools and tasks. With no gender attached!
How amazing is that?
If you want to see the result, just pop up tomorrow and you will see pictures!



(with the company of Cosmos and Missy today)

With love (for tools and for recycling tasks)
Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment