Wednesday 2 November 2016

The first trailer - All Seating

Although this is a blog about our journey towards building a tiny house the lessons that are being revealed in the process are priceless!!

This is a classic example of that. This was the first trailer we went to see. The contact was given to us by a friend of the project.
We were warmley received by the owners and quickly shown the trailer. Our fist response was that we really liked it and although at 3000€ was more than we were hoping to pay, we were excited at the potential of it. They also showed us one that was just 1000€ and the old saying that you get what you pay for, was very much the case, it was very rusty and not what we wanted. So we left and thanked them and said that we would like to think about it. It was the first trailer that we had seen, was it a good price? Was it to early to know if it was the right one or not?











We headed off to Porto and took some time to reflect. I think for me the price was the only thing holding me back, it seemed a lot of money for just the trailer. After a great weekend in Porto we came by to see the trailer again. We both felt the same way about it, it seemed like the 'one'.
We spoke to the owners again and agreed with them that we would let them know the following day what our decision was, but we knew that we wanted it, and this is where for me the doubt crept in. It felt right so why didn't we make the deal there and then? For me it came down to the safety of not having to make the deal right there and then paying more than I thought it was worth, but I didn't know what it was worth, so I think it was down to trust. Trusting in the right decision regardless of the cost.
So we left and headed back to the Quinta. I wanted to talk to Marko, as he has some experience with trailers and how much to pay and I guess I was just looking for some re-assurance. He suggested we look at having one made as it might be cheaper than 3000€. So we decided to do that, but the process took a few days to get a price and in the end we found out that it would be more expensive!
So we agreed that we would make an offer for the trailer and Raquel made the call. As she was speaking in Portuguese I disn't know exactly what she was saying, but it didn't sound good. It turned out that the guy who was selling the trailer made a deal with someone else and had now sold the trailer, even though we had been given first refusal and had kept in touch with them. We were gutted I knew somehow we would be tested by the universe. Raquel was more optimistic and said that they knew of another person that was selling something similar. I was just pissed off with myself that I didn't act on that initial impulse I had felt and made the deal there and then.
Raquels optimism was enlightening and we made the arrangements to see the second trailer, see the post for that here.

David Williams






No comments:

Post a Comment