Saturday 17 December 2016

Visit from the Dr.

Extending the trailer with the help of Dr. Ferro


We have been trying to arrange a visit from Dr. Ferro (metal) for a couple of weeks. On Thursday he arrived in the afternoon with his welding and cutting equipment and a very large generator. He is a well known metal worker from neighbouring town, and proudly gives himself the title of "Dr. Ferro". We were pleased he had made it and was sharing this part of the journey with us.



I explained what we wanted to do, and showed him the van chassis that we wanted to use for material. It was not quite what he was expecting and I was slightly anxious that I had asked him to come without the proper materials for him to do the job, but he was quick to get to work, and we were soon measuring and cutting the chassis to size.
The chassis was given to us by the man that we bought the trailer from. I had initially asked him whether he had any material that we could use to extend it. He originally said that we could have the chassis for a 100Euros but when we were doing the final deal said that he would give it to us for free! We really appreciated it, and it was great to now be putting it to good use.


As soon as we had cut the first piece, the Dr., or Antonio, as he is known, was quickly to work with the welder to attach it to the chassis. He was very fast and I had to be quick to keep up making sure everything was the dimensions we wanted it, and level with the rest of the trailer.


We quickly became a well oiled team working together to complete the mission. It was a cold day and we weren't hanging around. In about 3 hours we had both ends completed.









I am generally not that interested in working with metal, but I have to say I really enjoyed this part of the construction. I have not welded before but I have got a taste for it and I would like to learn more.



Mission completed we posed for a quick photograph. I will now paint the parts that we welded on to protect them from rusting. We are now just waiting for the wood to be ready and we will get started with the floor and frame :)


Job Done!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment