Wednesday 7 December 2016

Boxing day?

Not yet, but almost!
This was an interesting small project before the construction of the Tiny House.
It still is! I haven't finished it yet. For 2 reasons: there was some material missing (hinges and a catch) and at the time I couldn't make the lid on my own, because I had to cut metal and I haven't done it before.

But all of this brought an interesting contemplation to me. 
I saw how strongly I think that I am not capable of working with wood and actually make something useful with it. And how, at the same time, I am curious and I love to experiment new things and I am not afraid to work with tools.
David explained every detail of the project and I started to measure and to cut the wood. I saw my confidence and my lack of it as well. But the important thing is that I didn't give up. I kept going, asking when I was not sure of things and a box was made!

It is very empowering to use either one tool or the other (the jigsaw, the drill, the impact driver and the silicone gun).
How come a tool in my hand feels so empowering? Is it because it's an extension of my hands and with their work something new is created? It's the power of creation? It's the thrill of the new, the unknown? It's the fact that I am doing something that the "rules" (or what normally is a stand) say that is for men?
I think it doesn't matter the reason or reasons. The main thing is that I am empowered because nothing is stopping me (including myself). I am being myself, without imposed limitations. There is no gender, there is no impossibilities, there is no expectation. There is only the presence of a being creating something new.




 (I had a funny moment when I saw that I drilled holes on the wrong side of the wood and then they wouldn't match with the other piece of wood - it looked like a puzzle with no solution to me)

(I learned that silicone is used to stop the entrance of the water inside of the box)

Looking forward to put the lid on!

With love,
Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment