Tuesday 13 December 2016

Leveling the trailer

Getting Level


We have the trailer positioned just in front of the bus, on what looks to be a fairly flat piece of ground. However when I got the spirit level out, I could see it was anything but.
When I was working with a carpenter on a project to build a meditation studio, I remember how much he emphasized
 the importance of getting the foundations level. Once you have that in place, whatever you build on top is going to be a lot easier. In that case we were digging holes in the ground to make concrete foundations, and so this is a little different, but the principal is the same.


So I set about jacking up each corner and supporting the trailer on combinations of slaps of concrete, stone and whatever else I could find that could take the weight. I found it a bit intimidating at some points when I realized how much weight I was lifting and supporting. In this picture I was using a jack and a piece of eucalyptus.


At the rear of the trailer there are stabilising arms that fold down. These helped a lot as I could wedge material under them, and create a stable foundation to support the trailer and also the house to come.

Raquel LOVES to take pictures of feet!?! This is one with our feet under the wheel of the trailer.


Getting there! I finished yesterday. We now have a solid level foundation to work on. We are just waiting for the materials to arrive and Dr. Ferro to weld on some metalwork to extend the length of the trailer.

David

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I love pictures with feet, but this one is just to show the space between the floor and the tire. :-)

    ReplyDelete