Wednesday 7 December 2016

Designing with Sketchup

"SketchUp"


I wanted to write a bit about the design program I am using. It is called SketchUp and is freely available off the web. It is really helping me work out how we are going to build this thing!

The picture above is where I am at with it at the moment. I have included the windows with the exact dimensions of the ones we got, and the idea is that this will give us the plans so that when we come to construct we will have a better idea how things will go together.

It has been a bit of a learning curve to get my head around this software, it is not majorly complicated, but you need to now how to use it. I bought some instructional videos here and they have worked wonders. They were not exspensive and are helping support another couple who are building a tiny house in the U.S.
Jake who is demonstrating the software is very clear in how to use it, and is a bit of a wizard with it. It helps that he is showing what are the useful tools in the context of building a small wooden house.

So the next step is to start adding the inner and outer walls and to work out how we are going to build the roof, I am hoping that will come in a divine flash of inspiration!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment