Sunday 1 January 2017

Living in a tiny house

Before living here at Mizarela, I lived around 10 years in a small house in Rio Tinto. An amazing, lovely house with a garden and a backyard. It was small, but enough for one!
I noticed quite fast that if I didn't leave things in their place the house would be uncluttered. So, I was determined to always leave them where they were supposed to be.

That was a very good experience, because now I can put it into practice again and I don't freak out when things don't go as I planned or when I think that this space is to small!
Living in a 7m BUS with another person? Challenging, practical, minimalist and I love it!

We have a bedroom, kitchen, living room, dining room and a corridor. It's real! The bed at the end, with the kitchen on the left and before that, 2 sofas and we can put a table between them. And last, but not the least, we a have a corridor where we dance together.
We have some storage that is spread everywhere inside of the BUS and outside as well.
Because we don't have a lot of space we have to choose very wisely what we keep inside. And that is a choice made by me and David. 2 Wills that sometimes don't meet. But the important thing is that we talk about it and we just decide what is the best thing. Not what I want or what David wants, but what we want and what's the best choice.
In the end there is no rule. We want to be in the moment and that's the daily practice living in such a tiny place.

Of course, we have (I have the most part of it) other belongings that are stored somewhere else and some of them are going to be useful when we move to the Tiny House. But for now, the BUS has been enough.
Every day we are grateful for this BUS; it's warmth, it has the sense of protection and, more than that, the sense of home that it gives to us.
I laugh at those moments when I just want to scream I WANT MY SPACE and I look around and we only have 1 room to be!
I love when we put our favorite songs and we dance together in the corridor. Not a lot of space but a lot of fun!
I am grateful for the minimalist type of living that we have here.

And smiling, we say that we are going to upgrade moving from the BUS to the tiny house - it's bigger and we learned a lot with with it: how to keep a very small place where a couple lives organized, de-cluttered, cleaned and homie.
The most important things that are needed are love, detachment and a will to minimize and to be organized.

I will write a set of posts around minimalism in a house and organization of spaces.
Stay tuned!

One of the sofas with a beautiful Minde blanket.

Our living room a.k.a. dining room. Sometimes we light the oil lamp that comes from Marinha Grande.

The "dance floor" corridor and the bedroom with so many hand made details, like the carpet made by me and my mum with scraps of fabric, the small rug came from Brasil handmade by a group of women and the "Espanta Espíritos" made by a Brasilian friend.

This is one of the things that we love to do in the BUS, with our small gas cooker: pancakes!
Special Sunday breakfasts, as a celebration for good and healthy food (we cooked them on top of the wood burner) and for today, a way to say hello to 2017!


With love,
Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment